- Swim with wild orcas and humpbacks off the coast of Norway.
- Learn how to snorkel in a dry suit in Arctic waters.
- Watch the annual herring spawning run from the most first hand perspective one can get.
- See the northern lights dance in the skies above as we explore the Norwegian coastline.
- Check out the beauty of the Lofoten Islands in the winter season.
Join expert freediver and underwater photographer Karim Iliya on a once in a lifetime expedition to the Arctic coast of Norway to observe the annual herring spawning run underwater. This natural event draws millions of herring to the Norwegian coastline, and with them come hundreds of hungry orcas and humpback whales.
JANUARY 24, 2019 :: ARRIVAL IN ANDENES, NORWAY
Arrive in Andenes, Norway. We will host a team briefing, announce our daily activities and host a team dinner at our house.
JANUARY 25 - FEBRUARY 1, 2019 :: ANDENES
Each morning we will set out at sunrise (which is not as early as it sounds, since we're north of the Arctic Circle), gear up and head out on our expedition boat in search of orcas and humpback whales off the Norwegian coast. Millions of herring are spawning along the shoreline, and this attracts numerous orcas and humpbacks eager to feed. The orcas spin the herring into balls while the humpbacks approach from below with their mouths open. The two groups work in unison with each other to feed.
We will spend six days on the water and two days resting. During our rest days, we will explore the local fishing villages around the Lofoten Islands and check out the northern lights dancing in the skies above. On average our days will only have about 6-7 hours of daylight, and we will spend that time entirely on the water. Rest days are determined by ocean conditions, on particularly rough or low visibility days, we will opt to stay in instead of wrestle with the waves.
In the evenings, we will host photography editing and pointer lessons as well as share responsibilities in cooking our group dinners. This is a highly social trip to witness an amazing natural spectacle firsthand.
FEBRUARY 2, 2019 :: DEPARTURES FROM ANDENES, NORWAY
We will arrange airport drop offs throughout the day.
$4,800 USD (single supplement is the same price)
- Airport transfers and local transportation
- 3 meals per day
- Private whale boat (10 people max)
- Professional whale guide and expert team
- Freediving and photography lessons
- Dry suits, diving jackets and fins
- Snorkel and mask
- Camera equipment and housings
- Optional excusrions
- Personal spending
- Airfare to and from Andenes, Norway
To sign up to join this trip, please fill out the application form by clicking on the button below. A deposit is due to us immediately after a successful application, so we ask that you only apply when ready to commit to the trip.
If you're not ready to sign up yet but would like to receive updates on this trip and other related Inertia trips, you can enter your email address below to join our interest list.